46003, Valencia, Plaza de la Virgen, 6Find on map
Contact phone: +34 963 91 92 14
Support in english: +34 932726490
Vergin de los Desamparados in Valencia
The Basilica was built between 1652 and 1667, and is the only church in the old town that was not built on the site of a former parish church or convent - it was an entirely new work. Another unusual thing about it is that the dome is off-centre, towards the Cathedral. Also worthy of note is its side-chapel, a characteristic element of the Baroque: it is dedicated to the adoration of the image of the Virgin Mary. It is one of the first side-chapels we know of in Spain, and access is via a staircase.
The Basilica of the Virgen de los Desamparados is the sight of the statue of the namesake virgin of the basilica. The basilica, attached to the Cathedral by a magnificent renaissance archway, competes with the cathedral in its ability to attract the faithful. It is the sanctuary of the Geperudeta (the Little Hunchback), the virgin who is known for her efforts to protect the less fortunate. The statue itself is gothic, with a Byzantine face, a long head of hair and is adorned by numerous jewels donated by the faithful.